Brian Smith, originally from Indiana, completed his undergraduate studies at Indiana University in Bloomington, where he received numerous academic awards. He then was accepted into the Indiana University School of Medicine, later graduating in the top two-percent of his class. Dr. Smith continued his medical education by serving his Internship & Orthopaedic Residency at SUNY Health Science Center in Syracuse, N.Y.
After that came a Fellowship in Hand Surgery at the prestigious Mayo Clinic. While completing his General Surgery Internship, Dr. Smith was honored with the Resident Teaching Award. After five years in private practice in Florida, he was recruited by the Center for Sports Medicine and Orthopeadics in 2000 where he specializes in Hand and Upper Extremities. He sees patients at both our Hixson and East Brainerd offices.
Dr. Smith is an upper extermity specialist and surgeon at Center for Sports Medicine in Chattanoo
- American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery
- National Board of Medical Examiners
- Certificate of Added Qualification in Hand Surgery
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- American Society for Surgery of the Hand
New patient paperwork is completed on our Patient Portal. Please contact our office for instructions and a pin number.
- Dr. Mark Heinsohn, my primary care doctor, had told me what a great person and doctor that He was sending me to. I totally agree. I am satisfied that I will get the best treatment available from Dr. Smith.
- Dr. .Smith is an exceptional Doctor; I have recommended him to other people several times. He is the absolute best Doctor that I have ever seen.
- Dr. Bell and his staff took very good care of me. I highly recommend his practice to anyone in need of treatment.
- I find respect in today’s world on the decline and one thing that stood out was how respectful Dr Bell was I really appreciated that. Very good doctor.
- I always recommend him to friends and coworkers…. he is an EXCELLENT surgeon; Keep up the good job that you are doing.
- In my opinion, Dr Smith is not only extremely knowledgeable in his specialty, but he listened to what I said and made me feel comfortable. He was personable, showed interest, and easily conveyed his thoughts regarding my condition in a professional manner. His diagnosis and treatment have been highly effective.
- Dr. Smith made you feel safe and informed. I’m glad I was referred to him.
- Brian was great with my 16 year old daughter. He was very understanding and talking to my daughter and helping her understand was very amazing of him to do that. It just made her very comfortable to have the surgery with him. Thank you for being a great doctor and understanding.
- I was very satisfied with both the office and the doctor. I felt that i was treated with respect that my questions were answered and that my problem was skillfully addressed. Total wait time for new patient visit x-ray consultation and procedure was less than one hour which is amazing and appreciated.
- Dr. Smith is a listening caring and professional doctor. He knew exactly what was wrong with my wrist after explaining what was going on. He informed me of all my options of treatment.
- Before seeing Dr. Brian Smith, we heard very good comments on him. After seeing him, we had to agree, professional & focused on patient’s care.
- Dr. Smith always gives me my options and explains everything to me. I really like Dr. Smith, and he has Great, friendly staff
- I was so impressed with Dr. Smith! Professional, knowledgeable, informative, and thorough. He made sure every option will be examined before deciding on surgery. Answered my questions and treated me like an intelligent human being, not condescending or rushed. A+ care, and I’ll recommend him highly!
- Doctor Smith is a very good Doctor. I have told other people to come and see him. I would not do so if I did not think he could help. If and when I have to see an ortho again, I will always go to him. I TRUST him very much. Doctor Smith is a valuable Doctor to the practice and our community. I have had surgery on both elbows and one wrist, everything went very well!
- I wish I could go to Sports Med. With all my medical issues! [visit for Brian Smith, M.D.]
- Dr. Smith made me comfortable with the entire process. I was very nervous about the surgery, but he and his staff put me at ease. Very professional with an excellent bedside manner. Good doctor, doesn’t do any cutting until he’s sure it’s needed.
- Dr. Smith has been great for me since my first encounter with him for surgery after a visit to the ER for a hand injury. He saved my hand and finger from a traumatic injury and I am so thankful for his care. His therapist, Chris, was also wonderful to me during rehab and I appreciate him and his patience and caring for my situation. I am fortunate to have Dr. Smith to care for my hands! Both Dr. Smith and Chris should be commended for their fine service to their patients!
- DR. SMITH HAS PERFORMED 5 SURGERIES ON MY HANDS AND REBUILT MY WIFE’S RIGHT THUMB. I WOULD TRUST HIM WITH ANY SURGERY WHICH I MIGHT NEED.
- I was called back and saw the Doctor very quickly. I did not have to wait a long time. The whole appointment took less than 1 hour, and he was very good to explain to me about my conditions with my hands.
- Dr. Smith was accommodating to patient hearing loss and comprehension. spoke TO patient while still making sure patient’s son understood.
- Dr. Smith was very professional yet approachable as well. He was able to save my finger when we thought it was most likely loss. I am so grateful to him and his staff!!
- “Dr. Smith was very professional and friendly during the visit. He explained my injury in a very precise and easy to understand way, including the best procedure for care going forward to ensure the injury would heal quickly and completely.”
- “We very much enjoyed our visit with Dr Smith, my visits have all been very informative.”
- “Dr Smith was most helpful. He explained the reason for my hand pain, I just wish I had seen him months before!”