Total Ankle Replacement
Matthew M. Buchanan, MD is a board-certified, fellowship trained Orthopaedic Surgeon who specializes in the foot and ankle. Dr. Buchanan prides himself on a patient-centered, outcome-driven approach to both operative and non-operative care of the foot and ankle.
Prior to moving to Chattanooga, Dr. Buchanan practiced in the Washington, DC area. While in DC, he received numerous accolades to include selection by his peers as a Washingtonian Magazine Top Doctor, as well as an Arlington Magazine Top Vote Getter: Best Orthopaedic Surgeon.
Dr. Buchanan was an orthopaedic foot and ankle consultant to The Washington Ballet. Dr. Buchanan’s love of teaching led to his appointment as an Assistant Clinical Professor at the Georgetown University School of Medicine in the Department of Orthopaedic Surgery. He served as Faculty for the Orthopaedic Foot and Ankle Center’s Foot and Ankle Fellowship Program and was a member of the I nova Sports Medicine Institute.
Dedicated to research, Dr. Buchanan has authored multiple book chapters on foot and ankle topics including flatfoot, minimally invasive ankle surgery and ankle cartilage defects. His research papers have been published in leading medical journals and have evaluated the optimum technique to treat traumatic foot injuries and the effects of smoking on bone fusion. He currently serves on the editorial board for www.footeducation.com, and has served as an editor for Foot and Ankle Specialist and Foot and Ankle International.
Dr. Buchanan has expertise in complex problems of the foot and ankle. His current clinical interests include bunions/hammertoes, arthritis/cartilage regeneration and minimizing the recovery time associated with foot and ankle surgery. He specializes in Total Ankle Replacement and is one of a select group of Orthopaedic Foot and Ankle Surgeons who has received certification to perform four FDA-approved Total Ankle Replacements. Dr. Buchanan holds a patent on a unique FDA approved surgical plate designed to speed recovery for moderate to severe bunion deformities.
Dr. Buchanan grew up in St. Louis, Missouri, and received his Bachelor of Science degree in Biology at Duke University. He attended medical school at The Ohio State University receiving dual honors in Orthopaedic and General Surgery and was awarded the Department of Surgery Jonassen Prize for “Exceptional Performance and Dedication to Surgery.” Prior to his prestigious fellowship at the Orthopaedic Foot and Ankle Center in Columbus, Ohio, Dr. Buchanan served as Chief Resident at West Virginia University’s Department of Orthopaedic Surgery. He is a Diplomate of the American Board of Orthopaedic Surgeons.
Prior to his 9 year career in the DC area, he practiced in Colorado where he was a member of Vail-Summit Orthopaedics. Dr. Buchanan served as Chief of Surgery at St. Anthony’s Summit Medical Center and took primary orthopaedic call for the area’s six major ski resorts. In 2007, he left the mountains of Colorado for the DC area in order to focus his practice exclusively on the care of the foot and ankle.
An active sports enthusiast who loves the great outdoors, Dr. Buchanan understands a patient’s desire for a quick recovery. He is an avid bicyclist who organized and completed a 3300-mile self-supported, cross-country bicycle ride in support of Children’s Miracle Network. He enjoys endurance mountain biking and has completed numerous 24-Hour Mountain Bike Races as well as the Leadville 100. He is an accomplished whitewater kayaker and has navigated multiple Class V rivers.
Dr. Buchanan and his wife, Angela, look forward to raising their 2 boys in Chattanooga.
- American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery
- Advanced Certificate in Total Ankle Replacement
- Diplomate, American Board of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- American Orthopaedic Foot and Ankle Society
- American Medical Association
New patient paperwork is completed on our Patient Portal. Please contact our office for instructions and a pin number.
- Appointment was great. Doctor was informative and understandable on the procedures that would need to be followed to fix issue at hand.
- Thank you
- Great. Doctor
- Dr. Buchanan was extremely pleasant and made me feel comfortable. He was not rushed and took time to discuss my plans with my husband and me. Very pleased with his care!!
- I felt confident in Dr. Buchanan’s exam and his instructions. I will definitely schedule with him again should the need arise.
- I am completely confident having Dr. Buchanan taking care of me. I have finally found a physician and practice to take care of all my orthopedic needs. Every bit of the drive each way to see him is worth it!
- Liked the fact he listened to my explanation of my history of my problem.
- Everyone I met was very kind from the front desk ladies to the ladies in the backand Dr. Buchanan was very attentive and explained my issue in a personable way.
- Very satisfied
- Thank you for agreeing to help us in attempting to be able to walk again.
- Dr Buchanan & staff were very professional
- Dr Buchanan was very professional and un‐rushed. Answered all my questions. Very pleasant.
- He is very good and was helpful with recommendations.
- Love the team with Dr. Buchanan. They are awesome.
- I have had the need to visit orthopedists for years in various places where we have lived. Center for Sports Medicine and Orthopaedics is the best in my experience. Not only am I impressed with Dr. Buchanan and others, but the consideration for the patient with short wait times and prompt replies to questions is unparalleled.
- Hard to find good doctors but he is the best.
- My entire experience with Dr. Buchanan has been exemplary.
- I received compassionate, careful, intelligent, and forward attention from Dr. Buchanan & every other person at the Center for sports medicine. Absolutely no complaints about treatment or care.
- Fantastic Dr. And nurses!!!!
- Very keep kind and professional.
- Dr. Buchanan seems very concerned regarding you treatment and getting you active again. He listens to your concerns. I have told others how good he is and referred them to his office.