Total Ankle Replacement
Matthew M. Buchanan, MD is a board-certified, fellowship trained Orthopaedic Surgeon who specializes in the foot and ankle. Dr. Buchanan prides himself on a patient-centered, outcome-driven approach to both operative and non-operative care of the foot and ankle.
Prior to moving to Chattanooga, Dr. Buchanan practiced in the Washington, DC area. While in DC, he received numerous accolades to include selection by his peers as a Washingtonian Magazine Top Doctor, as well as an Arlington Magazine Top Vote Getter: Best Orthopaedic Surgeon.
Dr. Buchanan was an orthopaedic foot and ankle consultant to The Washington Ballet. Dr. Buchanan’s love of teaching led to his appointment as an Assistant Clinical Professor at the Georgetown University School of Medicine in the Department of Orthopaedic Surgery. He served as Faculty for the Orthopaedic Foot and Ankle Center’s Foot and Ankle Fellowship Program and was a member of the I nova Sports Medicine Institute.
Dedicated to research, Dr. Buchanan has authored multiple book chapters on foot and ankle topics including flatfoot, minimally invasive ankle surgery and ankle cartilage defects. His research papers have been published in leading medical journals and have evaluated the optimum technique to treat traumatic foot injuries and the effects of smoking on bone fusion. He currently serves on the editorial board for www.footeducation.com, and has served as an editor for Foot and Ankle Specialist and Foot and Ankle International.
Dr. Buchanan has expertise in complex problems of the foot and ankle. His current clinical interests include bunions/hammertoes, arthritis/cartilage regeneration and minimizing the recovery time associated with foot and ankle surgery. He specializes in Total Ankle Replacement and is one of a select group of Orthopaedic Foot and Ankle Surgeons who has received certification to perform four FDA-approved Total Ankle Replacements. Dr. Buchanan holds a patent on a unique FDA approved surgical plate designed to speed recovery for moderate to severe bunion deformities.
Dr. Buchanan grew up in St. Louis, Missouri, and received his Bachelor of Science degree in Biology at Duke University. He attended medical school at The Ohio State University receiving dual honors in Orthopaedic and General Surgery and was awarded the Department of Surgery Jonassen Prize for “Exceptional Performance and Dedication to Surgery.” Prior to his prestigious fellowship at the Orthopaedic Foot and Ankle Center in Columbus, Ohio, Dr. Buchanan served as Chief Resident at West Virginia University’s Department of Orthopaedic Surgery. He is a Diplomate of the American Board of Orthopaedic Surgeons.
Prior to his 9 year career in the DC area, he practiced in Colorado where he was a member of Vail-Summit Orthopaedics. Dr. Buchanan served as Chief of Surgery at St. Anthony’s Summit Medical Center and took primary orthopaedic call for the area’s six major ski resorts. In 2007, he left the mountains of Colorado for the DC area in order to focus his practice exclusively on the care of the foot and ankle.
An active sports enthusiast who loves the great outdoors, Dr. Buchanan understands a patient’s desire for a quick recovery. He is an avid bicyclist who organized and completed a 3300-mile self-supported, cross-country bicycle ride in support of Children’s Miracle Network. He enjoys endurance mountain biking and has completed numerous 24-Hour Mountain Bike Races as well as the Leadville 100. He is an accomplished whitewater kayaker and has navigated multiple Class V rivers.
Dr. Buchanan and his wife, Angela, look forward to raising their 2 boys in Chattanooga.
- American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery
- Advanced Certificate in Total Ankle Replacement
- Diplomate, American Board of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- American Orthopaedic Foot and Ankle Society
- American Medical Association
New patient paperwork is completed on our Patient Portal. Please contact our office for instructions and a pin number.
- He was wonderful! I found him to be very pleasant, engaging and a great sense of humor. He was familiar with my rare injury and did a great job explaining the current situation and my course of care. I feel very comfortable with him and will return to him for my future care.
- First time in meeting with Dr. Buchanan, his professionalism was top notched. I wished that all doctors were as good as him.
- Dr. Buchanan is an excellent physician, friendly, professional very knowledgeable I would recommend anyone to him.
- Dr. Buchanan is friendly and provides an explanation of the medical situation and answers any questions. He is one of the better doctors I have ever been too from a technical and from a personal interaction standpoint.
- All staff and medical personnel were very courteous and helpful, and I was provided outstanding care!
- Dr Buchanan was very efficient and knowledgeable. He explained my problem in a way I understood. Even showing the x‐rays. He actually helped me understand why my right leg had been having problems beyond what I came in for.
- Dr. Buchanan is very skilled in surgical procedures as I had extensive reconstructive surgery and now a year later my scarring is minimal with positive results. He is very easy to communicate with during office visits.
- He is very knowledgeable, and he explained my condition to me so well. He is a very good doctor. He has an excellent bedside manner. Very fortunate to have him in our area.
- I would highly recommend Dr. Buchannan to anyone. He listens to your concerns and will go out of his way to do what it takes to get you better. Excellent doctor !!!
- My surgery had a great outcome and I give all the credit to Dr. Buchanan. Highly recommended!
- Dr Buchanan is the best Doctor I have had the privilege to take care of the surgery I needed. Not only is Dr Buchanan a excellent surgeon he also has one off the ” nicest ” personality a patient could hope for. I wish he could treat me for all my medical needs …..we need more Doctors like him !!!!!! Go Dr Buchanan …..and don’t ever change , thank you.
- Very professional…and engaging. Takes time necessary for care. Thorough and conservative. Highly recommend
- Dr. Buchanan put my mind at ease about what I thought/feared was a slow recovery. He was very thorough and prescribed treatment that has helped improve my recovery time. His staff was exceptional….Ashley and student Sarah were attentive and engaging. I was impressed with everyone right up to the person in your office who assisted me in scheduling my appointment. Very professional all the way around
- I appreciate Dr. Buchanan’s care for me during my surgery and my infection. He cared and took time to help me with the healing of the infection. He answered all my questions. He was very straight forward and let me know everything about the situation of how long it would take to get better. I really like Dr. Buchanan and will tell others about how good he is.
- Dr. Buchanan has excellent bed manners. Has a great personality. Well pleased as a first-time patient. Very comfortable with Dr Buchanan!
- He seemed very concerned about how he treats his patients excellent Doctor in my opinion
- am SO glad that I found Dr. Buchanan. He spent a lot of time explaining my condition and options. He listened to my concerns and answered all my questions thoroughly! I am more than confident in his ability.
- This was my first visit with Dr. Buchanan, he made me feel at ease , explained how he would perform the precedure on my toes , I have total trust & confidence to let Dr. Buchanan do surgery on me , that is off upmost importance to me . Trust & confidence!!! Thank you Dr. Buchanan!!
- Dr. Buchanan has got to be one of the nicest people in business. He as well as the support staff are fabulous! I’m so very happy to have been to see this group. I don’t want my comments to be anonymous, I’d like them to be shared. THIS is the way to treat people who are hurting. I wrote down the names of the support staff and would like them to know how much I appreciate them
- It was a great day in my life when I was recommended to go see Dr. Buchanan. He and staff are so easy to work with and have a real concern for my wellbeing.
- I had quite a complex foot surgery and I feel physical therapy and Dr. Buchanan’s expertise saved my foot. I am so grateful for all personnel involved in this recovery.
- I have nothing but the greatest praise for Dr. Buchanan and his staff. I have received the best treatment and care, and I couldn’t be happier.
Thank you CSMO!
- One of the best Dr’s I’ve seen! had an issue that wasn’t complicated yet Dr. Buchanan was kind enough to explain what he thought had happened. I felt all the staff were attentive and professional; they were very nice I would recommend him to anyone
- Very professional as well as customer friendly. Treats patient as if they were family. Dr. Buchanan and his nurses work as a team with the patients’ needs their first priority.
- He was extremely personable and pleasant as well as down to earth in explaining my condition.
- Dr, Buchanan is an excellent doctor and has an amazing bed side manner. He always makes you feel important and will put a smile on your face if you don’t already have one. Very up beat and extremely pleasant and caring. I would highly recommend his care to anyone I know that needs is specialties.
- Dr Buchanan is very knowledgeable and an expert in his profession.
- Appointment was great. Doctor was informative and understandable on the procedures that would need to be followed to fix issue at hand.
- Thank you
- Great. Doctor
- Dr. Buchanan was extremely pleasant and made me feel comfortable. He was not rushed and took time to discuss my plans with my husband and me. Very pleased with his care!!
- I felt confident in Dr. Buchanan’s exam and his instructions. I will definitely schedule with him again should the need arise.
- I am completely confident having Dr. Buchanan taking care of me. I have finally found a physician and practice to take care of all my orthopedic needs. Every bit of the drive each way to see him is worth it!
- Liked the fact he listened to my explanation of my history of my problem.
- Everyone I met was very kind from the front desk ladies to the ladies in the backand Dr. Buchanan was very attentive and explained my issue in a personable way.
- Very satisfied
- Thank you for agreeing to help us in attempting to be able to walk again.
- Dr Buchanan & staff were very professional
- Dr Buchanan was very professional and un‐rushed. Answered all my questions. Very pleasant.
- He is very good and was helpful with recommendations.
- Love the team with Dr. Buchanan. They are awesome.
- I have had the need to visit orthopedists for years in various places where we have lived. Center for Sports Medicine and Orthopaedics is the best in my experience. Not only am I impressed with Dr. Buchanan and others, but the consideration for the patient with short wait times and prompt replies to questions is unparalleled.
- Hard to find good doctors but he is the best.
- My entire experience with Dr. Buchanan has been exemplary.
- I received compassionate, careful, intelligent, and forward attention from Dr. Buchanan & every other person at the Center for sports medicine. Absolutely no complaints about treatment or care.
- Fantastic Dr. And nurses!!!!
- Very keep kind and professional.
- Dr. Buchanan seems very concerned regarding you treatment and getting you active again. He listens to your concerns. I have told others how good he is and referred them to his office.