A native of Oak Ridge, Dr. Chad Smalley was a three-sport letterman at Centre College in Kentucky, graduating Phi Beta Kappa and Magna Cum Laude. His specialties include:
- Arthroscopic Knee and Shoulder Specialist
- Sports Medicine / OrthoBiologics
- Shoulder Replacement Specialist
Dr. Smalley attended University of Tennessee Health Science Center, College of Medicine, where he was inducted into the Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society and graduated with Highest Honors in 2000. A five-year residency in orthopaedics took him to West Virginia University, where he trained at a Level 1 Trauma Center, while serving as chief resident and receiving the Resident Teacher of the Year Award in 2005.
Dr. Smalley is fellowship-trained in knee and shoulder arthroscopy and sports medicine having completed an additional year of training in San Francisco while serving as a team doctor for the San Francisco Giants. It was also in San Francisco where Dr. Smalley received his specialty training in reverse total shoulder replacement, an innovative technique not performed in the Chattanooga region prior to his arrival.
In addition to attending to the needs of his patients and the demands of a full time practice, Dr. Smalley provides regular consulting advice to several of the orthopaedic industry leaders. As a well respected surgeon, he has been asked to be a part of the research and design team for multiple arthroscopic devices and innovative instrumentation for the reverse total shoulder arthroplasty. Dr. Smalley maintains a special interest in joint preservation, OrthoBiologics, and cutting edge OrthoBiologic treatments.
In the relatively short period of time since he joined Center for Sports Medicine & Orthopaedics, Dr. Smalley has been recruited to be part of an elite team of US fellowship trained arthroscopic specialists. As a result, he maintains multiple international certifications to practice orthopaedic surgery outside of the United States and is involved with several international projects both teaching foreign physicians as well as providing care to the local and expatriate populations abroad.
Dr. Smalley currently serves as Medical Director for Center for Sports Medicine, is a member of their Executive Committee, and sits on the Board of Center for Sports Medicine Surgery Center.
As a board-certified orthopaedist specializing in shoulder and knee arthroscopy and sports medicine, Dr. Smalley is delighted to be taking care of patients in his home state along side his well respected colleagues at the Center for Sports Medicine and Orthopaedics. He enjoys a variety of sporting and outdoor activities including snow and water skiing, wake surfing, rock climbing, mountaineering, and mountain biking. He cherishes time with his family and has made his home on Lookout Mountain with his wife Christy and his three children, Jackson, London, and Grayson.
Learn more about your condition by viewing our patient education videos below.
- Chad Smalley is an excellent surgeon and an authentic, caring and compassionate person. He is a good listener and speaks clearly and makes good eye contact.
- So very pleased with the care Dr Smalley has given me. I have and will continue to recommend him for anyone needing an orthopedic doctor. Thanks,
- He was wonderful. He knew I was afraid on cortisone shot and he was so gentle. Both my husband and I were impressed with his treatment of me.
- Dr. Smalley was very easy to talk to. As soon as he came into the room he knew everything that was going on with my knee, so I didn’t have to repeat why I had come to visit him. He explains my condition and what he would do to help. He did a great job and I would refer him to anyone that I know that have knee pain.
- Excellent dr. Made me feel comfortable the entire appointment and listened to my concerns. I’m glad I found him and have him to help with my knee.
- The entire staff was friendly, outgoing, courteous, and extremely helpful. Dr. Smalley was very good with interaction, explanation, of injury, necessary work to be done, and what to expect after the procedure. Two thumbs up!!!
- Dr. Smalley is a excellent surgeon!!! Have had surgery by Dr. Smalley & my life has changed. I have my life back! NEVER thought that I would have the range of motion that I have now!!
- I thank God that Dr. Smalley is my doctor he has given me my life back !!
- Dr Smalley was very helpful in explaining the reason for the pain in my knee. He shared the xrays with me carefully explaining the areas of concern. He gave me choices to consider to manage the issue that I have.
- Dr. Smalley is an excellent doctor. He is very kind & understanding. He has a great bedside manner.
- Dr Smalley knows what he is doing and has the reputation to prove it among several friends of mine who I referred to Smalley. I drive down from Knoxville to work with him because of his shoulder work.
- Dr. Smalley is a great doctor. Have recommended him to family members & friends.
- Feel he is very knowledgeable about my shoulder. It was an excellent visit with timely examination.
- He lived up to his reputation of being an exceptionally fine doctor. Communication is a necessary skill to providing the highest level of care. Not only does he have the ability to ask the right questions, interpret your answers and tests, but he has an exceptionally good ability to explain your options. I am privileged to be his patient.
- Dr. Smalley was very friendly and explained my x‐rays as we looked at them. He answered my questions honestly and explained all my options. He was very informative and thorough. I could not have asked for a better doctor.
- My visit was great, I had just gotten off work and was tired expecting to wait a while, but that was not the case, the staff were so nice and welcomed me with there smiles, very nice clean facility thanks again for such great hospitality.
- I have been utilizing the medical staff at Sports Medicine for several years due to my pain from osteoarthritis. I have been happy with the professionalism from each medical doctor and staff associated with them. After having numerous injections and then meniscus repair on both knees I was approaching the thought of partial knee replacement. Having the option to use stem cell injection was very exciting to me since I felt it was an alternative step before surgical replacement. I was completely satisfied with the care from Dr. Smalley and his staff from the time of getting the injections at the surgical center through the 2 months of follow up. I would recommend the procedure to anyone who wants to utilize alternative options for pain. -Theresa Averbeck 2/1/19
- I am very pleased with this office visit and consultation. Smalley explained the situation to me in a very understandable way and the office session was not rushed.
- Dr. Smalley was professional and did a great job on my shoulder. He came very highly recommended and now I see why.
- I was very well pleased with my service at Sports Medicine and Dr. Smalley. I liked being able to register on line. Really like the follow up of the summary of my visit.
- Dr. Smalley is very attentive, friendly, pleasant, respectful, informative, very concerned about my injury, easy to talk with, took all the time needed to answer any questions and explain things. I was overly impressed and very happy to have Dr. Smalley taking care of me.
- I have already been singing the praises of Dr Smalley and his staff to my family and friends. I was very pleased with the care I received at this visit.
- Dr. Smalley was very upbeat and made me feel as though there is “hope” that my shoulder can be repaired and that I can return to my normal life without pain and restriction.
- I have always been pleased with the excellent care and surgery from Dr Smalley. I continue to recommend him to all my friends who have shoulder or knee issues. He is awesome!
- Dr. Smalley is an outstanding surgeon ! I thank God he has done my left shoulder surgery & that he will be doing my right shoulder !! He is outstanding !!!
- Dr Smalley was professional yet personable! He listened answered all my questions and provided helpful information! I would certainly recommend Dr. Smalley!
- Perfect. Just what every doctor should do. Listen inform diagnose and communicate!
- Dr Greene sent me to see Dr Smalley, outstanding Dr. didn’t candy-coat my problem. We both agreed on best course of action together.
- very professional. treated me respectfully.
- When seeing Dr. Smalley, I feel that I am his only concern at the moment and that I’m encouraged to ask any question that concerns me about my condition. His answers are thoughtful and inclusive of concerns I might not have considered. I feel that I’m in good hands with Dr. Smalley and would recommend him highly to anyone.
- Dr. Smalley is one the best doctors you could ever want. He did both my knee surgeries on my right knee. He did a wonderful job, but I was diagnosed with RSD after multiple rehabs. he was very concerned about me and caring and very sincere toward my health. I’m glad I have a sports medicine doctor like him. I will always recommend my family or friends to try and see him if they ever get injured. He is going to treat me now on my left knee due to an injury. God bless and keep doing what you’re doing Dr. Smalley cause your one of a kind.
- He is very thorough with his explanations and was helpful with preparing us for the procedure. Very highly skilled not only in surgery but every aspect in dealing with people
- Very professional and attentive to my needs. I recommend him highly. I can say nothing other than it was an excellent experience and Dr. Smalley was wonderful!
- Dr. Smalley was thorough, personable and professional. He explained the x‐rays and CT results so they could be understood and took his time answering our questions. He was also reassuring and gave encouragement. Overall an excellent visit. Also Lauren his medical assistant was great! She was friendly and professional and personal able.
- Dr. Smalley was easy to talk to and I felt comfortable asking questions. Excellent doctor and staff.
- Dr. Smalley is the best of the many many doctors I have seen in my days. He is a great man!
- All the staff was friendly and helpful. Had a short wait time, wasn’t even done filling out my paperwork! Dr. Smalley takes time to listen and explains all the options available.
- Has excellent bedside manner. Takes time to explain things to the patient and their family. Just an all around excellent physician.
- I am very satisfied with all aspects of my visit.
- I have found Dr. Smalley to be respectful of the notion that my health is primarily my responsibility and to be respectful of the fact that I, as a patient, deserve to be fully apprised of risks and options, and then to leave the ultimate decisions to me. In the final analysis, however, his quality as an orthopedic surgeon is determined by the results of the surgery. So, while I appreciate his patient interaction, his greatest distinction is in the quality of the surgery performed, which was little short of artistry.
- Dr. Smalley was extremely nice and took his time in talking to about my problem. He is very caring and has great bedside manner.
- Excellent knowledge of the knee and specific treatments I was receiving at a different ortho group out of town. He is my new Orthopedist!
- Dr. Smalley has achieved the perfect balance of compassion and professionalism. I would recommend anyone to Dr. Smalley and the Center for Sports Medicine & Orthopaedics.
- Dr. Smalley was professional and put me at ease right away. I was impressed by the fact he wanted to see the mri for himself, He is Top Notch.
- Happy Doctor’s Day! Words aren’t enough to thank you for the care and compassion you always give me with my knee pain. It is a comfort to know you are always there for my needs. You are truly God’s gift to me!, L.D.
- Thank you for the care and compassion you have shown me during my recent surgery. I’ll always remember how you let me hold onto your hand as the nurse was trying to insert my IV. Needles and I don’t like each other! Never lose the care you show your patients, as this sets you apart. Many thanks, L.D.
- First of all I want to thank you for your kindness during my recent surgery on my shoulder which I think went very well. I had very little pain during my recovery and during PT. Next, I was very pleased with my PT and all those who administered it for me. Again many thanks to you and your entire staff there at Gunbarrel (CSMO). ~Sincerely yours, O.G.
- I think Dr. Smalley should be recognized as Doctor of the Year. For the last 10 years, I have been unable to raise my arms. I had to use one arm to raise the other. I was dependent on my wife to dress me, and my friends to help with my cattle and keeping my pasture fences up. Then I met Dr. Smalley. He told me about a new procedure called a Reverse Total Shoulder Arthroplasty… I had both shoulders replaced in 2007, 6 months apart. I can now raise both arms over my head. I can lift 10 pounds with my right arm 10 times and 7 pounds with my left arm 10 times. I don’t think there is a better doctor anywhere. My life has turned around now. Sincerely, L.M.
- What I do recall is on the day of surgery I was greeted on arrival and your taking time out from an obviously full schedule to reassure and explain the timing and procedure to be expected. I also appreciated (the anesthesiologist’s) closing remark “you should relax, you have the Best (surgeon),” which by then I already knew.
- Just wanted to let you know that I slept last night for the first time since this knee problem started. Thanks, L. H.
- Both my husband and I wish to express our appreciation to you and everyone on your staff as being very considerate and professional prior, during and following my procedure. Our office visits were pleasant and informative with minimal wait as well as excellent care and treatment by all your staff. More than you know, we are grateful for a very good experience due to your skill as well as staff professionalism… ~ F. and V.C.
- Every day you use your gifts and skills as a surgeon to care for others. I wanted you to know how grateful and thankful I was to see you last Sunday morning. It was probably the most distressed I have ever been and you quickly and calmly put me at ease and then did what you do best – put me back together. Thank you for all that you have done for me this week. I deeply appreciate your kindness and compassion for me and my family. Sincerely, A.M.
- It’s rare to find such a talented and compassionate surgeon at such a young age. I was very impressed and we can’t thank you enough. It bodes well for your future patients, because everything only improves with time! Yours, T.L.
- My overall experience with Dr. Chad Smalley is 10+++++++. No waiting over 5 to 10 minutes. He has an excellent bedside manner and spends all the time needed for any questions you have and to go over your results at every visit. He makes sure you feel comfortable every time he sees you and this is very rare for most Doctors these days. He is the most competent Surgeon I have ever experienced. He will not leave you in pain and he makes sure the diagnosis is correct before he will attempt surgery. Follow ups are great and complete. He really cares for his patients as if you are the only patient he has. If you need an appointment, the office makes sure you get in asap. The office staff is wonderful. I have never met a more courteous Doctor or office staff as caring or friendly as the staff of Dr. Smalley. He makes sure you get the correct Physical Therapy as needed for your problem. The Physical Therapy dept. is very experienced and treat you with Great respect. Overall rating for this Doctor and staff is too high to even rate! I Sincerely THANK YOU Dr. Chad Smalley and Staff !!!!! – E.W.
- Dr. Smalley did an excellent job in repairing my shoulder. I would highly recommend him to anyone. I wish I had seen Dr. Smalley first. If I had,I don’t think I would have had to wait six months for surgery. Without his excellent skills, and the great follow up therapy with the physical therapy group, I don’t think I would have the use of my arm that I do today. I am glad I choose him to do the surgery.
- Dr. Smalley is an excellent surgeon. He started treating me with shots and some exercises to see if that would solve the problem. I was experiencing pain after the shots wore off. He gave me the option of surgery or continuing the shots. He was not pushy about the surgery, but left it up to me to decide on my own time. I received excellent patient care after surgery, excellent physical therapy with Jean Thorn, and excellent follow-up care. I would recommend him to anyone having problems with their shoulders.
- I received a recommendation for Dr Smalley from a therapist for my wife and found the results great. In 5 months, I was back playing golf. The pain level was lower than I expected and the therapists were great. – J.C
- Very good doctor. Came highly recommended and I now know why. Dr. Smalley always seemed to have enough time to answer my questions, no matter how many I had. His professional manner was of the highest caliber, along with his nurses and secretary. I will recommend Dr. Smalley to anyone who asks about a doctor. R.M.
- I love Dr. Smalley. He is very friendly, willing to listen, takes time with you, always smiling. Talks to you in detail about your problem. Answers any questions so you can understand. I would highly recommend Dr. Chad Smalley.
- Courteous, knowledgeable, detailed before and after surgery. Soft manner and reassuring of outcome of surgery. Office staff was efficient and friendly. No long wait periods. Highly recommended. – D.P.