Following five years of orthopedic residency training at the University of Iowa, Dr. Tim Ballard completed a subspecialty fellowship in adult hip and knee reconstruction and replacement at Rush Presbyterian St. Lukes Medical Center in Chicago. Immediately thereafter, Dr. Ballard recognized the need for a total joint specialist in the area and joined the Center for Sports Medicine & Orthopaedics in June, 1996. His sub-specialty interests include hip and knee replacement and revision, knee arthroscopy, and lower extremity trauma. His specialties include:
- Total Joint Replacement/Revision
- Hip & Knee Reconstruction
- Knee Arthroscopy
- Lower Extremity Tumor & Trauma
Attending Wright State University in Dayton, Ohio for his undergraduate studies, he graduated Summa Cum Laude with the highest honors and awards including the College of Science and Engineering Math and Science Scholar.
He earned his medical degree at the University of Cincinnati College of Medicine before heading to Iowa for orthopedic residency. Early in his orthopedic training he became specifically interested in total joint replacement, which is the subject of most of his research efforts. Having authored or collaborated on over thirty research publications, book chapters, and scientific presentations, he served six years on the program committee for the American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons.
Dr. Ballard loves to spend time with his wife, Erika, five children, and three grandbabies (so far!). Together they enjoy many outdoor activities and exploring all this beautiful area has to offer. He continues to be amazed by God’s grace and continual blessings, and considers it a privilege to care for His people.
Learn more about your condition by viewing our patient education videos below.
- Dr Ballard, is the most caring Surgeon I have ever had the pleasure to know, and to have taken care of the surgeries I have needed.3 so far!
- Dr. Ballard is the best! He demonstrated caring and concerned advice, clear explanation of postop rehab, understanding of patient questions, etc. He was excellent in all aspects!
- Top Notch facility!! I was very impressed with how friendly and helpful everyone was. Dr. Ballard is amazing and was very informative and professional. I could tell he is a very caring doctor and wants what is best for his patients. Thank you!!
- This was my first visit with Dr. Ballard and I could not have asked for a better doctor. He has a great personality and explained my xrays on my knees to where I could understand what was going on. I would recommend him to anyone that has knee problems.
- Dr. Ballard is one of the best doctors’ hands down. He’s always polite, kind and takes time to make sure you understand and explains exactly what will happen. I have already referred him to several people and will continue to do so. The whole center is just as caring as he is. Thank you for having such a caring staff.
- He was very kind and even remember my son he had did surgery on over 5 years ago. I’m a little nervous about having a hip replacement but his attention to detail ease my concerns.
- Office is run like a well oiled machine & I was very impressed with my care from the moment I walked in until I left.
- Great Doctor, he did my left knee and I am so pleased with the results.
- A truly exceptional doctor. I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend to a family member, friend or anyone needing care.
- Dr. Ballard was very nice and seemed very concerned about my knee. He was very hands on and listened carefully to me as I tried to explain what problems I was having. He tried very hard to understand everything I was trying to tell him. He didn’t act hurried and answered any questions I had during my visit. I was very pleased.
- He is always concerned about how you are doing and if all is well . Very good would not want to see anyone else for my knee surgery.
- excellent doctor/surgeon.knows what his is doing without a doubt. has done knee surgery on both knees of mine . and also my husband. fast recovery
- I believe Dr. Ballard is probably the BEST Orthopaedic surgeon in the business. I am well pleased with the outcome of my bilateral knee replacement surgery. I have NO complaints at all!
- The most efficient doctor’s office I have ever visited.. first visit and I felt right at home!! Thanks, Dr Ballard!! You are awesome. Plus, I received very good news!! A lot of concern and worry put to rest.
- I’m so glad I chose to go thru Dr Ballard and center for sports medicine. Thank you for taking care of your patient needs. Physical therapy is going great. Everyone is so friendly, and it makes it so much easier due to the friendly environment.
- Dr. Ballard (in my opinion) is simply the best. He takes the time to explain things and to discuss your future plans, he always lets you know that he is there for you should you develop a problem in the future and he always prays the sincerest prayers that comes from the heart and lets you know that he is thinking of you. Simply put; I think he is the greatest.
- Excellent interaction…”bedside manner” exemplary. I’m a healthcare professional yet he purposefully insisted on explaining and summarizing at a basic level to ensure clarity.
- Dr. Ballard is the best surgeon and the kindest most compassionate Doctor I have ever met. He did a wonderful job on my knee replacement. I love the way he prayed such sweet prayers with me. It makes my heart happy to know that I am being treated by such a fine Christian man. He is a blessing from God for people who need surgery.
- I appreciate the care I receive from Dr. Ballard. He nails the difficult task of being totally professional while exhibiting personal and genuine interest in one’s needs and best care. I am grateful that Dr. Ballard is my physician in the area of Orthopedic care.
- Dr Ballard is an exceptional doctor, thorough, informative, kind and gracious beyond words.
- WOW WHAT A AWESOME MAN / HUMAN BEING!!!! He knows my story and how much he means to me. some times you guys don’t the whole story. I have always be treated with the upmost respect. I brag about Dr Ballard to any one that i know or don’t know that needs surgery.
- Excellent visit. Very patient and discussed in detail what my problem was and solutions.
- Prompt, compassionate, interested in patient care and explaining surgery in layman terms. Treated sever pain before I left office. He is an excellent Doctor!
- My experience with this practice is always great. The staff, front desk, telephone staff, nurses, PA’s are all good. Wish more medical offices were run like this one. Dr Ballard is the BEST. I wouldn’t see anyone else
- The most endearing dr I have met and thank God he put me in his care… I came to him highly recommended and will continue to pass his name on to others .. I am blessed to see such a caring person.
- Dr. Ballard and staff were all very professional and with excellent knowledge. I love Dr. Ballard, have been his patient for almost 15 years!
- I couldn’t be more pleased with Dr. Ballard and all the staff. Thank you for your good care. Everyone made me fell special and cared for.
- Dr. William Ballard did an excellent job when doing my knee replacements. He is very professional and caring. I have had two follow up visits since my replacements. I would never choose another doctor for joint replacements.
- I highly recommend Dr. Ballad to everyone that needs surgery on their knees or hips. I have a lot of trust in him and my wife and I truly respect his religious attitude. He along with God takes care of his patients. Keep praying with patients, He answers our prayers. Center for Sports Medicine & Orthopaedics have a great staff both doctors, nurses, and staff.
- He is simply the best, i owe my life to this man, I trust him fully in my care. Not only is he an excellent doctor and surgeon he is an excellent man. Caring, loving and always makes me feel i am his #1 priority. I feel myself very lucky to call him my doctor
- Dr. Ballard is a wonderful surgeon. I recovered from my knee surgery sooner than he expected! I am so thankful to have a new knee that I can walk on without pain. I have recommended him to several other people who are needing knee surgery. Thank you Dr. Ballard and
- Dr. Ballard always had my best interest in mind! Absolutely the BEST !!! I recommend him to everyone who needs a knee replacement.
- several of my relatives had good words to say about Dr Ballard. I was pleased that he lived up to their reports of him. I have already recommended Dr. Ballard and shared how wonderful he was on social media. He is a blessing in my life.
- Good doctor, refreshes faith in medicine. I was very happy with Dr. Ballard. He is very professional and caring for his patients. He also has an efficient staff that completes patient’s needs timely. I was impressed and look forward to my scheduled surgery.
- “Dr. Ballard is the most caring doctor I have every known. He is #1 in my book! I wouldn’t go to anyone else.”
- “Dr. Ballard, M.D. far exceeded my expectations as to what a busy physician in a very large practice would and could provide – time-wise, as well as informationally. From the moment he entered the room, he was totally engaged in my situation, including plenty of time to explain my condition, options for treating, and allowing me all the time I needed to interact in discussion with him. I have visited a fair number of doctors in all my years and Dr. Ballard is at the top of the list as being professional and personable. I would recommend my best friends and family with any orthopedic needs to seek the care of Dr. Ballard. Thank you for an amazing experience! This includes his staff as well.”
- “An extremely competent, knowledgeable and kind gentleman who showed genuine concern for me and answered all of the questions I had. Rarely have I seen a Doctor who I really liked, and appreciated. He was kind, funny, knowledgeable and a real gentleman. A man that I instantly respected.”